[SATLUG] Optic drives disappeared

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Fri Aug 6 18:43:43 CDT 2010

> I'm on Debian testing (squeeze) with a single drive.
> $uname -a
> Linux turbo 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Jul 24 01:47:24 UTC 2010 x86_64
> GNU/Linux

I'm on squeeze too.
# uname -a
Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Jul 24 01:47:24 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Same kernel.

If I boot with media in them, they show up fine.

>> This may be a kernel bug.
> Not likely, there are too many people with CD/DVD drives for one like
> that to be released. Perhaps hotplug and your fstab haven't been updated
> along with your kernel.
Well....

The patch is here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1170613

It seems really inconvenient to recompile the kernel right now because I
was having issues getting the video modules built. For now it will be
easier to boot with CDs in the drive and wait for the kernel to get updated.