[SATLUG] Root problems

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 13:50:38 CDT 2010

Peter Cross wrote:
> I am using Fedora 12 and cannot it seems get to root:
>
> [Peter at heretic ~]$ su -c "nano /etc/pam.d/gdm"
> Password:
> su: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted
>
> I've tried to just a normal "su -" to get to root as well and the same issue
> appears. I was using chmod the other night and I think I may have
> inadvertently done a "chmod -R 777 /" (intended to do a "chmod -R 777
> /var/hda/files" my yellow lab hit my hand, he wanted attention :) ). Is this
> recoverable or in the grand scheme of things is it better to just reinstall?

If the permissions for the entire filesystem are 777, I'd recommend a
reinstall.  Unix is very flexible, but it does what you tell it to do,
not necessarily what you meant it to do.

If you are going to do something that invasive, try

cd /var/hda/files
chmod -R 777 *

Sometimes I do 'rm *~', but I'm always very careful not to get a space
between the * and the ~.

   -- Bruce