[SATLUG] Old thread but is Google still your frin?

Daniel Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat Aug 7 09:17:34 CDT 2010

On Aug 7, 2010, at 9:06 AM, John Champion wrote:

> unrelated issue but if you are a publicly traded company with outstanding
> public debt, you are bound by law and regulation to be evil or do whatever
> is in the best interest of your investors. so that means that for Google,
> they have to violate their "do no evil" mantra that they want the public to
> believe they live by.

The two are not implicitly mutually exclusive. It's easy to screw over your customers and be "evil" in the pursuit of profits. Working at Rackspace, a public company, I don't see us "doing evil". If anything "evil" were to be suggested, the employees have a large enough voice with leadership to stop it. I would think Google is much the same way. I think a lot of people put out a lot of FUD around Google because they have so much information and have so much clout, but I think a lot of it is conjecture and conspiracy theory.

> i am very disturbed by the reports of the google-verizon packet shaping deal

...which has been flatly denied by both parties. Sounds like a story that was dead on arrival.