[SATLUG] Old thread but is Google still your frin?

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Sat Aug 7 09:23:05 CDT 2010

This is a very interesting topic that calls into question much of what
gets debated today. <please, I don't want to start this thread> Some
people would argue that corporations are entitled to representation like
individuals. The counter argument is, whereas I can be held accountable
with jail time for reckless endangerment and manslaughter if my actions
lead to the death of 20 people. A corporation is not, They pay a fine
which represents less than a year's profit.</thread>

What does this have to do with search engines?  A search engine or any
website can identify your browsers unique finger print (without your ip
address).  Your ISP has even more accurate records about what your IP
address was at a given time. They are also your default DNS resolver -
they know everywhere you go.

Google knows my searches. I even enable it through logging in. I'm
usually looking for Linux info or peer reviewed educational research.
For google to know this helps. It can even help more than keywords in
the searches sometimes. What's the problem? This can be done for
everything. Scenario: Hardworking politician and family man likes to
stay current with the latest info about "ladies in bikinis." He thinks
nothing of it. Later he is accused of corruption, etc... All his search
records are subpoena'ed from Google and his ISP. How does he look when
they discover that he loaded more than 3000 images from
bikiniladies.com? Also, which Google books did he browse through? It's
not pertinent, but it does make him look bad.