[SATLUG] Root problems

Daniel Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat Aug 7 09:35:14 CDT 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Peter Cross wrote:

> I am using Fedora 12 and cannot it seems get to root:
>
> [Peter at heretic ~]$ su -c "nano /etc/pam.d/gdm"
> Password:
> su: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted
>
> I've tried to just a normal "su -" to get to root as well and the same issue
> appears. I was using chmod the other night and I think I may have
> inadvertently done a "chmod -R 777 /" (intended to do a "chmod -R 777
> /var/hda/files" my yellow lab hit my hand, he wanted attention :) ). Is this
> recoverable or in the grand scheme of things is it better to just reinstall?
> I have a very recent backup but would not like to have to reinstall, migrate
> the data back, and get all of my other applications reset (6+ hours).
>
> Thoughts? Recommendations? Prayers?

rpm does have an option to reset the permissions back to their stock state.

rpm --setperms {packagename}

That said, you would have to run that for every package installed. I'll setup a test VM to see if I can figure out an easy way to get the output from 'rpm -qa' to a list that would be usable by the command above.

As for getting around not being able to su to root, you can get around that by either booting into single user mode or by booting to a recovery environment and chroot'ing into your system environment.