[SATLUG] usb issues

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 09:56:51 CDT 2010

On Sunday, August 08, 2010 13:59:23 Borries Demeler wrote:

> > On Saturday, August 07, 2010 19:12:11 Borries Demeler wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am trying to mount a 4 GB ATP ProMax SDHC memory card from my camera
> > > onto my filesystem by sticking in it into my 10-in-one USB adapter.
> > > However, it never manages to recognize the storage device, and keeps
> > > cycling forever trying to scan the device, I keep getting endless loops
> > > of the attached text under 'dmesg'. Any advice? Do I need to upgrade my
> > > kernel?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > -b.
> > >
> > > Here is the dmesg output that keeps cycling:
> > >

> > If it is an 8 year old card reader, and you are using a 4gig SD card, then that is the problem. The 4gig card is SDHC and will never be read by that card reader.
>
> Any recommendations for a good multipurpose reader?
>
> -b.

There are so many on the market and almost any will do fine. I have one that I got at a camera shop which is small and only reads SD(SDHC) and MMC cards. This one may do just fine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820223088

You may want to check a camera shop too, like Ritz/Wolf.
This IOGEAR reader is a 12-in-one and should do the job nicely. Wolf might even have it in stock in-store.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP45733714.htm?bct=;cimemory;cimemory-card-readers