[SATLUG] Asus EEE netbook, was Re: Ubuntu's wifi is teh suck

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Mon Aug 9 14:12:06 CDT 2010

Spoke with an employee here who does the Linux port.

He's really impressed with the Asus EEE 1215n; you get an nVidia
graphics card, 2GB RAM, 64-bit n450 processor, atheros 9k chipset, and
video display accelleration (VDPAU) that all work out of the box with Ubuntu.
He tested every peripheral and they all work.  He uses it as his desktop.
They retail now for $489, though there's another model (1215pn?) due out
any day now - currenty backordered.

Can do 1024x768 web browsing without scrolling due to 12" screen's
resolution.  Can also show 1080p video using only 25% of one CPU
thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU

Seems like that's my path of least resistance.
--
A Weapon of Mass Construction