[SATLUG] Terminal problem

John Hammer jhammer at alamo.edu
Mon Aug 9 19:01:34 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 16:35 -0500, Othniel Graichen wrote:
> I'd like you to do a test to help isolate the problem.
>
> Switch to Virtual Terminal 1, and login using your normal user name and
> password.
> Try a command.  Then logout.
>
> Switch back to Virtual Terminal 7.
>
> If you are able to do this your bash is fine and the problem is with
> Xwindows.
> I say that because you have already tested both the gnome and kde terminal
> programs which both fail.  You might also want to test xterm.
>
> Let me know what you find.  To switch to a particular virtual terminal, hold
>
> down the ctrl and alt keys then press the desired Fn key like F1 or F7.
>
> Othniel

Thanks Othniel--

After entering the username and password, several lines of information
was written to the screen. Most of it was boilerplate type information,
including the result of "uname -a", that Ubuntu comes with no warranty,
and that ncpmount is not installed. Haven't used ncpfs in quite a long
time. Then the login prompt was presented again. Never a chance to run a
command or to logout.

Perhaps reinstalling ncpfs is the solution. Will try tomorrow.

John