[SATLUG] Terminal problem

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 20:56:19 CDT 2010

Well then, I was surprised.  But your test has determined that it is not
Xwindows
environment related.  But I'm here to tell you that neither is it bash.

There are a couple of bash initialization files:

/etc/bashrc
~/.bash_profile

Check the man page on bash for specifics under the Heading files.  I believe
it is at the end.  You could have something in there that is causing a login
failure.  In any one of the initialization scripts.  Also ensure that dash
is
installed properly if you are on Ubuntu.  As a test you could change your
login shell to test whether it is some part of your bash configuration.

Othniel