[SATLUG] OT: Example of graphical data charting

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Aug 10 05:55:26 CDT 2010

> The infographics are very interesting. Timelines are one of my favorite
> uses.
> Do you know of a quick and easy way or program to do this?
> Most of them seem to be written in Java. Not sure why...

I have done things like this by simply concatenating the images into an
mpeg, and specifying the frame rate. You can do it under Linux with
mencoder or ffmpeg. Example:

mencoder mf://*.jpg -mf fps=10:type=jpg -o mymovie.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=1800

or with ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i %05d.jpg -sameq mymovie.mpg

When you play it back you can control the speed with an argument to mplayer:

mplayer -fps 10 mymovie.mpg

-b.