[SATLUG] anyone figure out how to run .profile under X?

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 18:51:48 CDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Henry Pugsley wrote:
>>
>> Put everything in .bashrc then source .bashrc from .profile, then you get
>> the same for login and normal shells.
>
> That causes problems if you have something like:
>
>  export PATH=my_special_path:$PATH
>
> Generally you don't want to set environment variables in .bashrc
>
>  -- Bruce

Where do you recommend they go?
Without special checking for already existing "envars" in ~/.bashrc
then problems can arise.
In the past I put all "permanent-personal" environmental variables
either in /etc/profile or in ~/.profile.
What I can't remember is whether or not the remote logins source
~/.profile. It is sourced from /etc/profile by default if it exists so
it should be.