[SATLUG] OT: energy costs SATX: $0.05/kWHr CA: $0.39/kWhr

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Aug 10 20:15:13 CDT 2010

> I have six computers and a portable A/C unit for that small bedroom,
> set at 75 deg F, used about 2000KWHr in a month, and my energy bill was
> over $700.  I'm trying to reduce, but the ACPI stuff doesn't work very

ouch. I have been enjoying zero power bills since February, when my
solar system was hooked up - so far every month I net-zero'd and
got a rebate for the excess I produced. It's enough to pay for the
meter charge. The panels on top of my roof have the nice side effect
of shading the house, reducing significantly the need for AC, which
extends the life of my AC compressor :-)

There are some excellent rebates out there that make solar very affordable.
Just for insulation and power saving improvements you can get rebates.

-b.