[SATLUG] Sendmail Auto BCC

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Fri Aug 13 00:51:40 CDT 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:15:18 -0500 (CDT), Leif Johnson <leif at paisd.net>
wrote:
> I'm considering adding a Barracuda Email Archiver to our school network.
> In order for this to work I will need to setup journalling (MS Exchange
> terminology). I'm using sendmail and I hear the sendmail equivalent is
> "auto bcc."
>
> Can someone offer me some advice on how to setup auto bcc in sendmail?
> My sendmail version is a bit archaic: sendmail-8.13.8-1.fc5.

You have to use a milter with sendmail as it doesn't have the functionality
built in. My friend Google pointed me to this:

http://www.snertsoft.com/sendmail/milter-bcc/

If it's even a possibility, you may want to consider moving over to Postfix
as it has this functionality built-in and a much easier config. Of all the
Linux admins I know, I've only met maybe one or two that preferred sendmail
because they knew it better than Postfix and Exim, and a couple more that
preferred Exim. By and large though, almost everyone would rather work on
Postfix for most everything MTA related.

Yes, qmail is there, but I've never heard of anyone actually liking it.