[SATLUG] SSDs - any help?

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 18:53:23 CDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:07 PM, David Kowis <dkowis at shlrm.org> wrote:

> On 08/13/2010 11:32 AM, travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org<travis%2Bml-satlug at subspacefield.org>wrote:
> > So my calculations show that maintaining a HDD here (CA) costs
> > $30-60/mo, which means I should look into SSDs.  Anyone used theses?
> > Can I plug them into a SATA controller, or is the controller some
> > weird hardware I have to buy?  Anyone have good experiences with
> > Linux?  I cannot afford to spend time troubleshooting them, but need a
> > good alternative to the power usage problem.  By comparison the cost
> > of the drive is cheap.
> >

> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-hdd-battery,1955.html
>
> Supposedly the SSDs don't use any less power, according to Tom's Hardware.
>
> So you'd get more storage for cheaper by sticking with plain old
> spinning platters. What you really need to do is move away from
> California ;P
>
> David

Thanks, David.
I had not seen that article. My input was based on anecdotal user experience
reports of quieter, cooler operation.
"Cooler" is not very scientific from that data but here is an interesting
comparison---
<http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/256gb-samsung-ssd,2265-2.html>

Two key points from this article are the "Power Consumption at idle" and
"I/O Performance Per Watt".
My personal computer style is that I spend long periods of time reading from
the screen or typing to the screen without any disk access. I also primarily
use desktops so battery life is not an issue for me. SSD price is a big
issue especially to get storage capacity like I have in my "rotating rust".
The one laptop I have has a fast cpu, memory and a SATA drive. An SSD would
not buy me much. I use the laptop on hot summer days (on AC only - no
battery) and turn my desktops off. This has cut the A/C bill a bunch.