[SATLUG] Advice on an ftp app?

Nate pixelnate at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 21:03:38 CDT 2010

  I have decided to start using my old Ubuntu box a little bit more, but
I have a few gaps to fill in the work flow I am used to. Coming from (or
perpertually trying to leave) OSX, I have grown accustomed to the way in
which TextMate (a very good text editor) works with Transmit (an
excellent FTP app). While Gedit is a decent text editor, I have yet to
find an ftp app that can/will work the way that Transmit will.

The main work I do at the moment is building Wordpress themes. My work
flow consists of having a local copy of my files that is mirrored on the
server. Transmit will allow me to sync my local folder to the one on the
server. One button and they are synced up. What's better is that in
TextMate, when I save my working file, I can then fire off another
command, called Docksend (Ctrl + Shift + F), that will sync that file to
the server through Transmit. If you are still reading at this point, my
question(s) is/are, is there an ftp app for linux (any flavor) that will
1) sync a local directory to one on a server, 2) has a keyboard shortcut
for the command, 3) and how would I be able to fire that command off
from within Gedit or another text editor?

I have tried FileZilla, and while it gets the job done for moving files
to the, there is no way to sync the files from local to remote. Also
looked in Synaptic for 'ftp' and I was greeted with about 400 libraries
that didn't get me any closer to an answer. Does anybody know of a good
ftp app that will fit the bill?

Thanks,

Nate