[SATLUG] Advice on an ftp app?

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 08:08:55 CDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 3:47 AM, Nate <pixelnate at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 8/14/10 3:10 AM, Tweeks wrote:
>
>> On Friday 13 August 2010 09:03:38 pm Nate wrote:
>>
>>>   I have decided to start using my old Ubuntu box a little bit more, but
>>>
>> ...snip...
{Disclaimer: This reply is heavily "snipped" to meet the size requirements]

I'll look into that, rsync, that is.

Straight from the MAN pages for rsync---
EXAMPLES
       Here are some examples of how I use rsync.
       To backup my wife’s home directory, which consists of large MS Word
files and mail folders, I use a cron
       job that runs

              rsync -Cavz . arvidsjaur:backup

       each night over a PPP connection to a duplicate directory on my
machine "arvidsjaur".
       To synchronize my samba source trees I use the following Makefile
targets:

           get:
                   rsync -avuzb --exclude '*~' samba:samba/ .
           put:
                   rsync -Cavuzb . samba:samba/
           sync: get put

       this allows me to sync with a CVS directory at the other end of the
connection. I then do CVS operations
       on the remote machine, which saves a lot of time as the remote CVS
protocol isn’t very efficient.
       I mirror a directory between my "old" and "new" ftp sites with the
command:

       rsync -az -e ssh --delete ~ftp/pub/samba nimbus:"~ftp/pub/tridge"

       This is launched from cron every few hours.

You did not mention using a Version Control system.
CVS is not as popular as it once was. The most popular seem to be SVN
(legacy) and Git (latest, hottest thing). Both of which are available in the
Ubuntu repositories for installation.
For an expert opinion on Version Control Systems look here---
<http://martinfowler.com/bliki/VcsSurvey.html>

>  What's better is that in
>>>
>> ...snip...

>>>  Again.. not a GUI man.. so from vim the command would be:
>> <esc>:!rsync -avz /local/dir host:remote/dir @
>>

> That whole command? I sync after almost every save and save after almost
> every change.

I second Tweeks recommendation to use vim.
It is easily customized. You could make it work very similar in feature and
function to what you currently use. Tweeks's one liner above is easily
automated in vim.
Here is a non-IDE version of vim (scroll down to see screenshot)---
<http://www.texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VIM>
Here is vim as a Python IDE---
<http://blog.dispatched.ch/2009/05/24/vim-as-python-ide/>
Here is an easy vim IDE from ArsTechnica---
<
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/guides/2009/05/vim-made-easy-how-to-get-your-favorite-ide-features-in-vim.ars

It appears that presently there are no OpenSource WordPress IDE's.

COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) products such as you have been using are
still scarce for Linux.
I don't know how much time and effort you have to put into creating your
personal programming environment.

[More Advanced]
Here are some URLs to Martin Fowler's approach to controlling your own
destiny instead of waiting for COTS products.
<http://martinfowler.com/bliki/>
<http://martinfowler.com/>

and Rui Carmo's work at the "Tao of Mac"---
<http://the.taoofmac.com/space/>
<http://the.taoofmac.com/space/people/Rui%20Carmo>
The Tao of Mac is written in an interesting language called Yaki---
<http://code.google.com/p/yaki/>