[SATLUG] Advice on an ftp app?

Daniel Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat Aug 14 09:06:44 CDT 2010

On Aug 14, 2010, at 3:47 AM, Nate wrote:

> On 8/14/10 3:10 AM, Tweeks wrote:
>> FTP?  Really?
>> Ditch FTP man.. (unless you're talking about sftp), it's a nightmare.
> Honestly, I am talking Wordpress themes here. If somebody somehow intercepts it in transit, it wouldn't really bother me. I understand the gist of the suggestion, though.

FTP has other issues beyond security. Although, you would be surprised at how much Wordpress is hacked. I, personally, am not generally concerned about mitm attacks, except when you're talking about a shared environment on the server side. All it would take is a script running on the server sniffing incoming traffic to snag your password and then they have their way with your site.

>>> The main work I do at the moment is building Wordpress themes. My work
>>> flow consists of having a local copy of my files that is mirrored on the
>>> server. Transmit will allow me to sync my local folder to the one on the
>>> server. One button and they are synced up.

Something else you may want to consider is to just use webdav (if you have access to set it up) or use FUSE to mount the remote directory directly on your local system. If you're stuck with FTP only, there is a FUSE module for that.

This would completely eliminate the need for syncing. Every save would go directly to the server. Nautilus, since it sounds like you use Gnome, may even have native support to "mount" FTP servers directly built in.

> You must be a sysadmin.

He (and I) are. :-)

> I am not. I'm a web designer/developer. You can't make pretty pictures in Photoshop or Gimp or Illustrator on the command line.

Obviously not. He wasn't talking about using TTY1, but doing most of your work via terminal. I use a Mac here and do my "real work" via Terminal. The one exception is when I'm working with larger codesets, I tend to use Eclipse.

> Besides, linux does have the quickest gui (gnome anyway) I've used.

Quickest in what sense? Tweeks was more talking about productivity. I keep my hands on the keyboard as much as possible. Thankfully, OS X has some great shortcuts for use even in the GUI. That makes me more productive. If you were to compare how long it takes to use a command-line FTP client versus a GUI client, you would be amazed how much faster you would go.

If you're talking about the responsiveness of the environment, OS X feels snappier than Gnome to me, but that's a whole different discussion.

> Honestly, I don't know why the hardcore floss guys are such haters.

Do you think we're all running systems with no X? No, we're lazy and like to do things in the least number of steps and physical effort as possible. That's usually accomplished by avoiding the mouse and keeping your fingers on the home row.

> With OSX, that's another story. It is by far the heaviest gui on any platform. It's pretty but Quartz is hangs up all the time. Processors completely empty and yet there it is, the spinning beach ball. Ugh.

I had major beach balling when I upgraded the drive on my MBP to an aftermarket 7200RPM SATA2 drive. I had to downgrade the EFI to a previous version to fix that. Something about the SATA2 support on the model I have.

Anyhow, good luck!
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (Darwin)