[SATLUG] Partition Management

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Thu Aug 19 23:57:13 CDT 2010

On 08/19/2010 10:02 PM, Michael wrote:
> On 08/19/2010 03:46 AM, Todd W. Bucy wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 13:15 -0500, J. Michael Morse wrote:
>>> <snipped>
>>>
>>> Installing Kubuntu 10.4 gave me an all or none scenario. I could use
>>> either the entire disk, or manually partition the disk. So much for
>>> all of those great options y'all were mentioning . . . (yes, I am
>>> whining ;) )
>>>
>> just curious but what particular options were you looking for. If you
>> used the live cd you should have had at least 3 options presented to you
>> durring the install process:
>>
>> 1. use the whole disk automaticall partioned by the installer
>> 2. use free space and and dual boot. automatically partitioned by the
>> installer
>> 3. manuall partition using the built in partitioner (I am pretty shure
>> all of the 'buntu use gparted.) this option is ussually marked for
>> experts or advanced.
>>
>> Todd
>>

> I wanted a root, a swap, and a separate partition for my /home. I
> created the swap partition and forgot to make a separate partition for
> my /home.
>
> That said, it is all moot. I will probably end up installing some other
> version of Linux. I don't particularly care for KDE 4*. I don't know how
> to use the plasma stuff and I just don't have the patience or desire to
> re-learn something new. A friend of mine is using PCLinuxOS and it uses
> KDE 4.*, but still has the "look and feel" of 3.5. I think I am going to
> give it try.

Well Michael, Early in this thread someone told u that u can run Gnome
since X & U buntu's are same just X uses KDE and U uses Gnome, U can
switch over just open Snapatic Package Mgr from the Spstem/admin menu
and click search and type in install Gnome

	snip... The Desktop from System/About Ubuntu

     * Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings!

The desktop is what you see after you log in to your computer and what
                     	you use to manage and run applications. The
default desktop environment for
                     	Ubuntu is GNOME, a leading UNIX and Linux
                     	desktop suite and development platform.

You can optionally install the KDE and
                         Xfce desktop environments, which have their own
                         distinctive look and feel. KDE and Xfce are
made available in Ubuntu by the
                         Kubuntu and
                         Xubuntu projects respectively. You can
                         even install a KDE-only or Xfce-only version of
Ubuntu if you wish.
	,,,snip

Well I prefer Gnome over KDE but i never used it much since I had no
complaints with setting up a custom desktop in Gnome. It is very
flexible so as long as u already hav Kbuntu installed switch to the
Gnone and give it a try. I do like PCLinux also tho and I have played
with several other flavors. Puppy is cool and I hope to try
DamnSmallLinux some day. Anyway have fun but there is a learning curve
on all the diff linux flavors.

You can use Partition manager to resize your '/' partition make an
extended partition and move your /home to what ever size u wish to
define. I agree with below recommendation.... Goog has lot of good tips
and howtos just keep Ubuntu or Kbuntu in the search string and u get
distro specific hits.
good luck and this list has some cool members who really try to help
They got me settled in three years ago and I total linux now. Rumming
Ubuntu 10.04 desktop Long Term Support version (I allow all the
recomended updates that the package manager presents to me so the sys is
kept up to date with kernel releases, security, etc and I don't have to
do a major upgrade for 2yrs.
  happy herb

 > I recommend:
 > >
 > > sda1 /boot     100M
 > > sda2 swap      1G
 > > sda3 /         5G
 > > sda4 extended
 > > sda5 /home     as desired
 > >
 > > other partitions as desired for other distros, etc.
 > > For specialized purposes I also have
 > >
 > > /usr/src
 > > /opt

 >With fedora, for example, you get a logical volume based system, which
<is a bit easier to manipulate and create partitions.

<There's also the Gparted liveCD which is quite good if you want to, <say,
<shrink your windows partition and keep it around for dual booting.

 >As others have mentioned, most modern distros have a partition manager,
<I have a similar setup as above, but I use LVM instead of physical
<partitions.

<David