[SATLUG] SSDs - any help?

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 04:21:27 CDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Daniel Villarreal <youcanlinux at gmail.com>wrote:

> Why not just use hibernation? For a while the Ubuntu performance (including
> hibernation) was erratic under the PAE kernel at that time and then I
> switched to the real-time kernel. Having gone back and trying a new PAE
> kernel, everything is running nice again. I want to get another hard drive
> and run that system with PC-BSD.

Thanks for the info, Daniel. I will try again.
Even though the desktop LCD screen (shared KVM display) blanks off and
claims to be "green" there is still some noticeable heat coming out of it
when blanked. Nothing like a CRT and not much different from when the screen
is displaying.
The first time I tried hibernate/suspend on Ubuntu nothing worked.
Another need would be to have the same operation with Ubuntu 10.04 and
PCLinuxOS 2010 since all my machines dual boot. The laptop works fine with
Ubuntu 10,04 (now Kubuntu), PCLinuxOS 2010 and Windows XP. No problems
there.
I wonder if it is because the laptop has a mobile (CULV?) CPU in it?
When I try to get PCLinuxOS 2010 with KDE 4 (now 4.5.0), the same as the
laptop, it tells me the CPU cannot be turned off. It does not say anything
about being turned down? I guess if you can overclock you could underclock
if you knew what you were doing. Beyond me. It also offers no Power
Management options for being plugged in to the AC. Just battery operation. I
thought that was strange. There seems to be a lot of confusion.
The current work-a-round is to run only the laptop during the hot hours and
only turn on a desktop after dark.