[SATLUG] Partition Management

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 10:52:03 CDT 2010

You can always manually change partition sizes, freeing up enough space for
a /home directory, by using Gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/), which
is in ready-to-use distributions such as Parted Magic (
http://partedmagic.com/) and SystemRescueCD (http://www.sysresccd.org/,
etc). You could also just drop in another hard disk and partition that. I
use ext3 and Reiserfs. Once you have the space available and partitioned,
you can simply edit fstab, I prefer to use uuid's.

To find out your hard disks' uuids...
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

I recommend you read David Pendell's article at Linux.com entitled "What
UUIDs can do for you" at http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/146951.
Note that latest SystemRescueCD v1.5.8 has v0.6.1 of Gparted, whereas Parted
Magic 5.2 has v0.6.2 of Gparted already.

I'm hoping to update and do some more videos on using the above
distributions soon. Since my web hosting will be expiring soon, I'll
probably just point my sites to the google site, which is not ready yet.

Daniel
http://youcanlinux.org/