[SATLUG] Partition Management

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 13:31:00 CDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Howard Haradon <hharadon at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you plan to keep a Win7 partition, you are best off letting
> Windows shrink itself and then using Gparted to create other
> partitions.
>
> Howard
> --
> Howard Haradon
> San Antonio, TX  USA
> --

Personally I have had better luck using GParted to shrink Windows
partitions - it is just as good if not better than any of the Windows
partition management programs, and it is free.  The only exception
being that you should not create new Windows partitions, but rather
just leave the space blank and use Windows Disk Management to create
the partition and filesystem.  The reason being that Windows has
several different partition IDs that have slightly different (and
confusing) functions, and I never seem to pick the right one.

As for the overall topic of partitioning for a Linux install, I tend
to stick with just / and /boot unless the drive is over 40GB.  When
you start messing around with /, /home, /usr, /var on separate
partitions on a home system, you invariably end up in a situation
where one of them is too small.  If I have a massive RAID array or
other storage, I mount it in some generic spot (/media/storage) then
create symlinks as necessary to make it easier to use.

-Henry