[SATLUG] Partition Management

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 15:13:55 CDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Henry Pugsley <henry.pugsley at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Howard Haradon <hharadon at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > If you plan to keep a Win7 partition, you are best off letting
> > Windows shrink itself and then using Gparted to create other
> > partitions.
> >
> > Howard
> > --
> > Howard Haradon
> > San Antonio, TX  USA
> > --
>
> Personally I have had better luck using GParted to shrink Windows
> partitions - it is just as good if not better than any of the Windows
> partition management programs, and it is free.  The only exception
> being that you should not create new Windows partitions, but rather
> just leave the space blank and use Windows Disk Management to create
> the partition and filesystem.  The reason being that Windows has
> several different partition IDs that have slightly different (and
> confusing) functions, and I never seem to pick the right one.
>
> As for the overall topic of partitioning for a Linux install, I tend
> to stick with just / and /boot unless the drive is over 40GB.  When
> you start messing around with /, /home, /usr, /var on separate
> partitions on a home system, you invariably end up in a situation
> where one of them is too small.  If I have a massive RAID array or
> other storage, I mount it in some generic spot (/media/storage) then
> create symlinks as necessary to make it easier to use.
>
> -Henry
> --

This is a little off-topic---
RE: "mount it in some generic spot (/media/storage) then create symlinks as
necessary"
What do you see as the trade-offs (or preferences) between symlinks and
sshfs (or some variant like .gvfs)?
I'm big on symlinks for local storage but they involve nfs and the
automounter for remote. Hardmounts seem to be an overhead load. AFAIK
"sshfs" seems to bypass all that.