[SATLUG] Partition Management

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Sat Aug 21 16:57:19 CDT 2010

Charles Hogan wrote:
> I used KDE in the pre 4.* days for several years.  I did my level best
> to get 4.* to "look and feel" like 3.5.  I got the look, but it never
> quite felt the same.  I ended up switching to Gnome.  Good luck with
> getting to act the way you want.

I don't get that.  Most of us (whether we admit to it or not) came from
a windows environment.  We -up-graded to Linux.  When there are new
"sparklies" and "play pretties" on the Linux desktop, why wouldn't we
(collectively speaking) want to adapt and grow with it?

It's not like we were dragged, kicking and screaming and with great
resistance from our Windows environment.  Hell, LOTS of us wanted to
stay in an environment that we knew, but were just tired of the
propaganda and lack of security features that the evil empire (The
Redmond Giant) refused/refuses to incorporate into it's Operating
System.  So, we embraced the chance at freedom from insanity... and now
it seems that there we are again, kicking and screaming and refusing to
advance, grow and progress.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when those who make the
decisions of what's new in each distro about what should be
incorporated, I'd have to say that since I'm not on the developing team,
that they have a WHOLE LOT MORE knowledge about what works, and what
doesn't.

Sure, most of any aspect of a gui is merely eye-candy and resource
heavy, but as Linux enthusiasts, are we not knowledgeable enough to
peak-n-tweek our systems to be something we -want-, while embracing the new?

Just my .02c.
Your mileage may vary.

--
Regards,