[SATLUG] Partition Management

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Sat Aug 21 19:03:52 CDT 2010

On 08/21/2010 04:57 PM, Geoff wrote:
> Charles Hogan wrote:
>> I used KDE in the pre 4.* days for several years.  I did my level best
>> to get 4.* to "look and feel" like 3.5.  I got the look, but it never
>> quite felt the same.  I ended up switching to Gnome.  Good luck with
>> getting to act the way you want.
>
> I don't get that.  Most of us (whether we admit to it or not) came from
> a windows environment.  We -up-graded to Linux.  When there are new
> "sparklies" and "play pretties" on the Linux desktop, why wouldn't we
> (collectively speaking) want to adapt and grow with it?
>
> It's not like we were dragged, kicking and screaming and with great
> resistance from our Windows environment.  Hell, LOTS of us wanted to
> stay in an environment that we knew, but were just tired of the
> propaganda and lack of security features that the evil empire (The
> Redmond Giant) refused/refuses to incorporate into it's Operating
> System.  So, we embraced the chance at freedom from insanity... and now
> it seems that there we are again, kicking and screaming and refusing to
> advance, grow and progress.
>
> I don't know about the rest of you, but when those who make the
> decisions of what's new in each distro about what should be
> incorporated, I'd have to say that since I'm not on the developing team,
> that they have a WHOLE LOT MORE knowledge about what works, and what
> doesn't.
>
> Sure, most of any aspect of a gui is merely eye-candy and resource
> heavy, but as Linux enthusiasts, are we not knowledgeable enough to
> peak-n-tweek our systems to be something we -want-, while embracing the new?
>
> Just my .02c.
> Your mileage may vary.

Amen +1. Yep I stayed with DOS till it just got to damn hard and even
3:11 was a welcome relief I learned how to manage it and to reset all
the stupid faults and went on up the $ ladder until Win-ME and every yr
I tried to get linux running and just could not master the X-win setup
until finally RedHat 7.2 and I made it to linux then wandered around
lost until finally Dan Givens told me that seemed obvious that I needed
an easier distro and he recomended Ubuntu that was at version 5.10 and I
stayed on 8.04 until the LTS 10.04 replaced it.

Since then I have managed to get help to get out of every mess that I
made, google, this and another list have all been invaluable resources.

I am completely happy with the default Gnome for U-10.04 but I still
wish to know more about operating a Linux OS, I am still learning how to
tailor my sys for what I want to do for personal needs, lol been retired
for 15yrs so all my needs are.

I have started learning how to use the shell and command line. I found
this tutorial that is step by step and I like it so far it is written in
german translated to english. so bit cryptic but clear.
http://www.it.uom.gr/teaching/linux/lsst/index.html
hh