[SATLUG] Partition Management

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 23:17:47 CDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Michael <mmorse757 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/21/2010 07:03 PM, herb cee wrote:

>>> I don't get that.  Most of us (whether we admit to it or not) came from
>>> a windows environment.  We -up-graded to Linux.  When there are new
>>> "sparklies" and "play pretties" on the Linux desktop, why wouldn't we
>>> (collectively speaking) want to adapt and grow with it?
>>>
> Just because something is different does not make it "growth."  I guess I
> would compare KDE 3.5/4.* to Windows XP/Vista.  Both "upgrades" were
> inferior products - IMHO.
>>>
>>> <snipped>
>
> <snipped out the part I wanted to respond to but am too lazy to go back and
> re-copy and paste it.)
>
> It isn't a matter of what works and what doesn't work.  It is a matter of
> what you like and what you don't like.  I /don't like/ KDE 4.*.  I tried it
> a couple of different times, and although I feel that it has improved some,
> I am just not into all the bells and whistles and that gawd-awful plasma
> stuff.
>
> When Kubuntu went to KDE 4, I switched to PCLinuxOS and got a couple more
> years worth of KDE 3.5.  I didn't know enough about Linux to know that there
> were any other options besides Gnome and KDE.  Somewhere, someone suggested
> XFce and so far I am enjoying it.  It is amazing to me how much faster it
> is.  It lacks a lot of the fore mentioned bells and whistles, but I am not
> much into the eye candy.

I am re-trying Kubuntu 10.04 since I read this on another mailing list
from a person whose opinion I respect and believe.
"I totally agree that KDE 4.0 (and 4.1) were junk -- I completely
avoided Kubuntu 8.10 for that reason.
(I even gave a presentation about it. :-)  Things got a bit better
with 9.04, and I'm very happy these
days with KDE in Kubuntu 10.04 -- it's vastly improved over the
originals, and I no longer find myself saying "KDE 4 is a major step
backwards from 3.5"."

I have been using PCLinuxOS since version 2007, 2009 (both KDE 3.x)
and now I am at 2010 which started out running KDE 4.4.2 (or 4.4.5?)
and worked great.
They just upgraded it to KDE4.5.0 and they screwed up some things like
terminal tabbing and the Clipboard Manager. Guess texstar was on
vacation. I love PCLinuxOS 2010 for the "easy on the eye" fonts and
rich colors.

Kubuntu is at KDE 4.4.2 on my install but soon to go to 4.5.0. I am
very frustrated by my inability to get the fonts "easy on the eye" and
find the rich colors. Those things should be there. I guess you just
have to be more KDE knowledgeable than I am to get them to work.
I did finally get rid of that awful light blue background. What an eye-strain!
The biggest help has been two web sites:
(1)<http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-kubuntu-10.04>
(2)<http://sjsarette.blogspot.com/2010/04/kubuntu-1004-setup-guide.html>

Kubuntu 10.04 has been a real "KDE" struggle for me.
I am really KDE challenged...
Maybe Xfce? I loved FVWM...
Check this link---
"Window Managers for X"
<http://xwinman.org/index.php>
This page breaks things down into "Window Managers", "Desktops" and "Other"

The interesting trend is away from all the glamor packages. I just
finished reading about uninstalling OpenOffice and installing Go-oo.
OpenOffice is great but way overkill for me. Same is true of most
Window Managers. Time to "lighten up!".

Maybe what I need is Linux Portable Apps!
<http://portableapps.com/node/6111>
<http://portablelinuxapps.org/>

I'd like to get it down to a simple LCD display, bulk external Storage
(would love for it to be Flash) and one or more Flash drives (as
required). All Flash drives to be plug and play. All I need is the bus
structure defined.