[SATLUG] dual booting my windoze box

Enrique Sanchez esanchezvela.satlug at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:01:23 CDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Todd W. Bucy <r3d91ll at grandecom.net> wrote:
> actually step 1 is to do a disk clean up.  Defrag is step 2.  Step 3 is
> clone the drive (or other back up).
>
> Todd
>
> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 12:10 -0500, Chris Hudson wrote:
>> Enrique, step 1 is to defrag your hard drive, before you partition.
>>
>>  --Chris
>>

>> > I am about to dual boot my windoze laptop, and was wondering whether
>> > the std linux distros, well ubuntu, would work around my windows env
>> > and leave the 50 out of 200 used GB untouched or do I have to
>> > partition it b4 installing linux.
>> >
>> > I remember long ago (10+yrs) when I did this, I had to use a special
>> > program to move the windows data into a contiguous area before
>> > attempting it, but I don't find any references around anymore....

thnx to all, I used these steps, and repartitioned the disk with
GParted, the data survived the windoze boot record, did not, but that
is ok, I wasn't planning to go back as I had already tested the apps I
needed to run on a 2ndary box.

the only missing thing is HW support for the 802.11g card, I should
find about that in a couple of minutes.

best regards,
esv.

--