[SATLUG] is there any need for a 64-bit binary on Linux?

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Wed Aug 25 19:27:42 CDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 07:23:08PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> OTOH, I think Debian (and Ubuntu) is reversed with /lib32 and /usr/lib32
> for 32-bit libraries and with the defaults being /lib and /usr/lib.

/lib is a symlink to /lib64

/lib32 is there for older apps.

> There are some systems that 'pure-64' are not compatible with with
> 32-bit applications.

Ah.  I'm guessing that these are a bit rare on desktops, but will be
increasingly less so.

Ubuntu still recommends 32-bit for desktops, and I think it's probably
because our 64-bit plugin, uh, needs some work :-)

BTW, at least one senior person said that "very few people use Linux
for browsing the web" which frustrated me, since I have 6 Linux boxes
and one Windows box for stuff that won't work on Linux.  I realize now
this is the chicken-and-egg problem; more people would use it if "the
Internet worked" on it.  Android is changing this perception though.
--
It asked me for my race, so I wrote in "human". -- The Beastie Boys