[SATLUG] is there any need for a 64-bit binary on Linux?

mark mark at kandm-solutions.com
Wed Aug 25 21:48:55 CDT 2010

> BTW, at least one senior person said that "very few people use Linux
> for browsing the web" which frustrated me, since I have 6 Linux boxes
> and one Windows box for stuff that won't work on Linux.  I realize now
> this is the chicken-and-egg problem; more people would use it if "the
> Internet worked" on it.  Android is changing this perception though.

I don't think that is a very accurate statement. I work in the computer
lab at SAC. The number one reason people come in wanting to know about
Linux is because they need to learn about it for their classes, the
number two reason is because people don't generally get viruses from
surfing the net in Linux. That's why I initially took the plunge. I will
not "surf the web" in a Windows machine unless I absolutely have to. The
fact that is way safer to "surf the web" in Linux is a major selling
point and one of the most powerful arguments for getting regular users
(people not running servers) to take the plunge.

--
kandm-solutions.com