[SATLUG] Meet at Rackspace?

Peter Cross pjcrux at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 22:50:36 CST 2010

The jaunt to Rackspace is easier without a doubt due to the location for me
but lets go into the argument a little deeper:

Pro's for Rackspace:
-International Commecial entity realizing the value of linux and willing to
support members of the local linux community.
-Wifi
-hard line ethernet
-VGA projector
-Better Parking
-learning rooms
-location at the walzem and I-35 location is easier for most members who are
members for professional as well as hobbyist's.
-more attractive to UTSA students and other Bachelor Degree seeking students
(maybe even Texas State)
-is not downtown and not having to fight rush hour to get to the meeting.
-soda fountain (howard mentioned it as a plus).

Con's:
-Security
-Loss of easy access for SAC students
-not a central location for San Antonio residents

Pro's for SAC
-long standing academic support of our local organization
-Academic interest from students
-easy attendence for SAC students
-ethernet access

Con's:
-parking
-downtown access is a pain sometimes
-most students from UTSA and Tx State don't want to go to SAC (comments were
made at the December meeting). (better employment appeal at Rackspace, lets
face it Rackspace had recruiters there wanting to talk to us).

These are just some of the arguments put forth by myself and others on the
list. THis is not an all inclusive argument and I'm sure there are other
arguments that I have not listed that are applicable to both. I am just
weary of ending a relationship with SAC when they have supported us for so
many years, yet I don't want to turn down a very attractive offer from a
commercial enterprise.

Cheers!

Peter