[SATLUG] Meet at Rackspace?

Aaron Hackney aaron at aaronhackney.com
Tue Dec 14 09:19:14 CST 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howard Haradon wrote:
>>
>> Hello,  as some may know, SATLUG has been invited to
>> hold our regular meetings at Rackspace's Windsor Park office.
>> They are talking about giving us considerable support in addition
>> to just a meeting room.  We would have WiFi and ethernet internet
>> access, use of built-in VGA projectors, as needed use of
>> their PC learning rooms, and, not least, drinks
>> from the Rackspace soda fountain!  Anyway, they are seeking
>> to support open source software here in SA, and see us as
>> a group that they can help.
>>
>> Please post your comments.
>
> I have one concern about Rackspace:  getting through security.  If that
> problem is solved, then the location is certainly more convenient for me
> personally.  Perhaps the tradeoff between the security issue and the awful
> parking at SAC is about equivalent.
>
> The bigger problem in my mind is the lack of programs.  The task of the
> Program Manager is thankless and difficult.  Since SATLUGers have a wide
> range of experience, it is difficult for a presenter to come up with
> something that would interest the experienced users without being too
> difficult for the less experienced users.
>
> I don't think anyone wants to hear the same presenter every meeting, yet
> getting volunteers is very difficult.  I don't want to just complain though.
>  I'm willing to do one presentation a year.

(Disclosure, I am a Racker....)
I think it would be VERY easy to get Rackers to guest speak being that
all they have to do is walk over! This also affords an opportunity to
mix with industry insiders on a regular basis with the possibility of
job prospects, etc. I will vote an enthusiastic yes on the change.

>  -- Bruce

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you
come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people
who have come alive." -Dr. Howard Thurman

Aaron Keith Hackney
aaron at aaronkeithstudios.com
Cell 210.325.2196