[SATLUG] Getting sound from MIDI

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 16:35:18 CST 2010

On Tuesday, December 14, 2010 14:44:06 Frank Huddleston wrote:

> So: I've thrown out a bunch of stuff here, and don't really know what
> I'm doing. I don't even really know what they mean by a "sequencer":
> something that sequences a thing that was otherwise un-sequenced, I
> guess. More likely: a program to play some kind of sound file.
> Is there a simple way to test my MIDI configuration? A simple app I
> should use to test and debug it?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Frank Huddleston

Have you installed any soundfonts? Also, I suggest installing qsynth (fluidsynth) and getting it assigned a soundfont and connected with Jack. Then, theoretically, your midi
programs will make use of soundfonts through qsynth/fluidsynth via Jack.
So, if a general midi soundfont is installed, qsynth will provide the GM voices and Jack will tie in your other midi apps, virtual keyboard etc.

I'll look more later into specific program names to be installed. I have made this work before on Mandriva, but it has been a while... but it was really cool when I managed to get it
to work.

John Choate