[SATLUG] Meet at Rackspace?

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Dec 15 06:43:07 CST 2010

> I work in the CIS department computer lab at SAC.
> We still install Linux on machines for students in the computer lab at
> SAC. Unfortunately most of the students at SAC don't see learning about
> Linux or other UNIX-likes as important. We try to highlight it's
> importance in the lab but it is a struggle.

In the last 10 years I have only hired people with *extensive* Linux
experience. Microsoft experience (with a few exceptions) is unimportant
for our work. When I get students or interns, the first thing they are
confronted with is a laptop with linux loaded on it, and a few pointers
to vim tutorials and bash/command line resources :-)

Linux experience is essential IMHO, and you are doing your students a
favor for pressing them to learn it. Definitely!

-b.