[SATLUG] 802.11N Router

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 14:11:52 CST 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Peter Cross <pjcrux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking for anyone personal experiences with an 802.11N router with gigabit
> wired switch that plays well with DD-WRT, tomato, open-wrt or similar. I'm
> seriously interested in an WRT320N from Linksys but currently have a
> WRT110N
> where the stock interface is crap and won't forward.
>
> Any thoughts or experiences that are positive?

I haven't looked at consumer wireless routers in a while, but as a general
rule, make sure you get dual band (802.11a/bg/n) or if you get single band
make sure you go with 802.11a/n.  Running 802.11bg/n is a bit of a waste as
you saturate your channels very quickly and it is difficult to avoid
interference.  You will pay a bit more for the dual-band but the signal will
be able to get higher speed for your high-end clients, but also be able to
support 802.11bg clients only (smart phones, gaming adapters, etc.)

Personally I have a Cisco 1252 sitting in my living room and it's pretty
bulletproof.