[SATLUG] info, advice training

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 23:08:59 CST 2010

When you are first learning Linux, there is an awkward phase I like to call
'the void.' This is where your tinkering has got you so far, you have an
idea how deep you can go with Linux, but there is a huge gap in between that
you aren't too sure about. Linux's greatest strength is also its greatest
weakness - the community. The problem is that most Linux users forget their
period early on when they were learning. They tell other users to RTFM or
Google it. While Googling something can get you some results, what if you
don't know what exactly to Google?

The best advice I can give is to get a book like (
http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Non-Geeks-Pain-Free-Get-Things-Done-Guide/dp/159327257X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk)
and go 'project' by 'project'. This will give you a better idea of how
things work as you go through. This also lets you know where to 'bridge out'
and learn new things. Google will help if you run into any road blocks along
the way, and sometimes the best way to use Google is to search for the
errors that you encounter. Just copy and paste them into the search field.
If you get no hits, start trimming from the end and keep hitting enter. :)

Once you get past that book, move into something like (
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Ubuntu-Linux-Fifth-Emilio/dp/1430230398/ref=pd_sim_b_6)
and (
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Guide-Ubuntu-Linux-3rd/dp/013254248X/ref=pd_sim_b_7
)

Lastly, you can go with a book like (
http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Unleashed-2011-Covering-10-10/dp/0672333449/ref=dp_ob_title_bk)
to take the 'shotgun' approach to it all.

It goes without saying that I recommend Ubuntu for learning and day to day
use. I even run it in large production environments, but most will use
RedHat or CentOS in prod environments. It's all up to you. There are also
lots of resources online in both text and video (youtube). Just search for
specific topics or do a general search for 'Ubuntu' in youtube and have fun.

Hope this helps.

                  -o)
                   /\\
                 _\_V