[SATLUG] info, advice training

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 09:38:05 CST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Renee Dockery <rdockery84 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the encouragement so far. I'm enjoying trying things out on
> Ubuntu. And I've tried a few other distros by way of live cd's, and now live
> usb drives. Like I said before, I mainly want to learn for my own benefit.
> (Helping others switch over to Linux would be nice, too.) I'd like to do
> more of my own maintenance and repair on my family computers without having
> to resort to Windows. I'm basically the family IT person, learning as I go.
> Right now I don't have my own, but borrow my husband's old laptop that I set
> up with Ubuntu 10.10. The hdd is only 20GB, so I don't have it dual-boot.
> How can I learn more about using the command line, for example? I feel like
> I'm only scratching the surface of what I could do with Linux.
> Are any of the online certification courses worthwhile?
> Thanks again!
> --

Hi Renee,  Welcome to the list.  There are some good guides
available online that you can download.  Below is a link for
an Ubuntu guide by Keir Thomas.  The link leads to the PDF
version of the guide.

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html

Also, it looks like there will be an Open Source Fest this
coming May.  At the weekend event we will have various
training sessions, mainly about Linux.  One will be for new
Linux users.

Good luck,  Howard
--
Howard Haradon