[SATLUG] wifi question

Jon Mark Allen jm at allensonthe.net
Wed Dec 29 10:43:57 CST 2010

Can you verify the encryption being used?  Is it WPA? WPA2? WEP?

If it's WPA/WPA2, you will need to use the wpa_supplicant program.
Included in that is a utility to generate the hex key and store it in
a config file.

JM

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:37, Borries Demeler
<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a wifi connection issue on some rare cases where I am provided
> with a passphrase password for an encrypted network and the password
> does not work. Normally, I use 'iwlist wlan0 scan' to find the network
> I want to connect to, and then configure it with:
>
> iwconfig wlan0 essid "some essid" key password
>
> In the iwconfig man page I am told that iwconfig does not support passphrases,
> and that these need to be converted to hex before they can be used. In some
> cases, prepending "s:" is recommended. None of these options have worked for
> me. I am wondering what I am missing.
>
> I downloaded a perl script to convert an ascii passphrase to hex, but the
> hex key it produced didn't work either. Here is the perl script:
>
> #!/bin/perl
> use strict;
> @ARGV or die "Usage: $0 passphrase\n";
> print generate_key( @ARGV ), "\n";
>
> sub generate_key
> {
>        require  Digest::MD5;
>        return substr Digest::MD5::md5_hex ( substr( shift() x 64, 0, 64 ) ), 0, 26;
> }
>

> Another program I tried was hexdump, the hex key it produced from the password
> also did not work (and it was different from the output of the perl script).
>
> Does anyone have a reliable way of translating a passcode to a hex string
> iwconfig can understand?
>
> Thanks for any help with this!
> -b.

JM

/* If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't
been much of a day.
-- John A. Wheeler */