[SATLUG] wifi question

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Dec 29 11:55:18 CST 2010

Mark,

this is exactly what I was looking for.

> I believe iwlist scan (you can add the interface name to reduce the
> output) will give you the encryption method.

It doesn't say anything if there is WEP encryption when I scan my own
WEP encrypted accesspoint. However, I see the following lines in some
other networks:

IE: WPA Version 1
    Group Cipher : TKIP
    Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP
    Authentication Suites (1) : PSK

IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
    Group Cipher : TKIP
    Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP
    Authentication Suites (1) : PSK

This can come from the same accesspoint, so does it merely mean that
the interface supports both methods, or that it actually uses WPA or WPA2
simultaneously?

> WEP takes the key
> arguement, WPA required wpa_supplicant. wpa_passphrase which is part of
> wpa_supplicant will generate a configuration file for the network.Then
> you run wpa_supplicant to associate with the access point.
>
> At least in debian you can add some lines to /etc/interfaces  (you must
> still have wpa_supplicant installed) and it will connect automatically.
> That isn't really efficient if its a laptop that connects to different
> access points.
>
> manual cli steps for wpa
>
> tell iwconfig what interface and network to connect to
> 	iwconfig wlan0 essid myssid
> use wpa_passphrase to generate a configuration file
> 	wpa_passphrase myssid mypassphrase > myssid.conf
> use wpa_supplicant to associate with the access point
> 	wpa_supplicant -B -iwlan0 -cmyssid.conf -Dwext
> use dhclient to get an address
> 	dhclient wlan0
>
> the driver for wpa_supplicant depends on your wireless card. the options
> are listed in the wpa_supplicant man page. I have a card that supports
> wpa but the linux driver I'm using for it does not. Hopefully you don't
> run into that issue. If you connect to the network alot it would
> probably be easiest to generate the config file with wpa_passphrase and
> then make a script that does the rest.

Thanks very much for this detailed explanation, this is was exactly the information
I was looking for. I have now installed wpa_supplicant and hopefully it will allow
me to get online the next time I am faced with a wireless setup at a hotel where
I can only use WPA networking.

Thanks again, -b.