[SATLUG] info, advice training

Aaron Hackney aaron at aaronhackney.com
Thu Dec 30 14:08:13 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Renee Dockery wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for all the great input! It looks like I'll continue reading books
>> on
>> Linux for now, maybe spend some more time at the forums. The Open Source
>> Fest sounds interesting, too.
>> I thought studying for some sort of certification would help, but nobody
>> mentioned that. I guess I'm just making things more complicated than
>> necessary. (I do that from time to time.)
>
> I don't know what employers are generally looking for in the way of
> certification, but for me there are really only two that are meaningful, LPI
> and RedHat.
>
> http://www.lpi.org/
> http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/

If you are interested, I understand that Northwest Vista College has
an official Redhat Academy that fired up this year. I haven't heard
any feedback on the Redhat curriculum, but if you are looking to drink
the kool-aid, that might be a good avenue.

> One thing to remember is that a certification can possibly get you an
> interview or actually in the door, but what you really know makes the
> difference between keeping a Linux job or not.
>
>  -- Bruce

"If you are scientifically literate, the world looks very different to
you. And that understanding empowers you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aaron Keith Hackney
aaron at aaronkeithstudios.com
Cell 210.325.2196