[SATLUG] wpa_supplicant and wireless/networking questions

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Sat Feb 6 12:23:16 CST 2010

I'm running Debian Squeeze on a laptop.

1. At my university there are encrypted and unencrypted wireless
connections. If I connect to the unencrypted I can get a dhcp lease. I
can then ping the address that gave the connection (1.1.1.2) and ping
the listed gateway (10.0.37.24). However I cannot ping google. The name
never resolves. Additionally, if I try to ping DNS servers by address #
208.67.216.230, or the MIT, or google DNS server there is no connection
available. I see that people around me are connecting with no problem.
What could be going on?

2. The university also offers a wpa connection. I've been googling this
and the finds and their usefulness are not always stellar, insightful,
or current. I would like the shortest way to get wpa connectivity going.
The packages wpagui and wpa_supplicant are installed. I have to start
wpa_supplicant first. I have a basic wpa_supplicant.conf file, but I
have no faith that it is correct. If I start wpa_supplicant and then
scan with wpagui I can find the wpa networks but authentication doesn't
work for various reasons. How do I know which encryption algorithm to
select? what are safe defaults?

Thank you for your time,

D Davis