[SATLUG] wpa_supplicant and wireless/networking questions

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 6 14:37:21 CST 2010

Don Davis wrote:

> ... I would like the shortest way to get wpa connectivity going.
>The packages wpagui and wpa_supplicant are installed. I have to start
>wpa_supplicant first. I have a basic wpa_supplicant.conf file, but I
>have no faith that it is correct.

wpa_supplicant and friends:
(that second char is a one, not an I, if you're typing)

Here are the main items from the SATLUG demo server (Debian
testing/unstable) with wireless. One key is automatically starting
wpa_supplicant when connecting, using these lines in
/etc/network/interfaces. (use the name of your interface if different)

allow-hotplug wlan0

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

The relevant part of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is pretty easy, too.
Replace the quoted text with the values for your situation.

### WPA-PSK secured AP (repeat for each SSID)

If this doesn't get you any closer, post the output of
   iwlist wlan0 scan
and we might have some additional suggestions.

There are two rules in this business:
1. Don't tell all you know.