[SATLUG] wpa_supplicant and wireless/networking questions

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 6 14:37:21 CST 2010

Don Davis wrote:

> ... I would like the shortest way to get wpa connectivity going.
>The packages wpagui and wpa_supplicant are installed. I have to start
>wpa_supplicant first. I have a basic wpa_supplicant.conf file, but I
>have no faith that it is correct.

wpa_supplicant and friends:
http://w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/
(that second char is a one, not an I, if you're typing)

Here are the main items from the SATLUG demo server (Debian
testing/unstable) with wireless. One key is automatically starting
wpa_supplicant when connecting, using these lines in
/etc/network/interfaces. (use the name of your interface if different)

allow-hotplug wlan0

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

The relevant part of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is pretty easy, too.
Replace the quoted text with the values for your situation.

### WPA-PSK secured AP (repeat for each SSID)
network={
    ssid="myssid"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    psk="secretpassphrase"
}

If this doesn't get you any closer, post the output of
   iwlist wlan0 scan
and we might have some additional suggestions.

--
There are two rules in this business:
1. Don't tell all you know.