[SATLUG] Palm Pre w/Linux

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Mon Feb 8 06:45:43 CST 2010

FIRESTORM_v1 wrote:
> i'll toss in my .02c...
> Yes you can tether with the Pre, all you need to do is statically
> assign IPs and set up iptables to do nat. :P
>
> Downside is you can't launch it from the UI, you have to ssh in and
> reconfigure it manually (or via scripts). The downside is that you
> may/will kill the UI in the process and have to recover via a reboot.
>
> (If I'm wrong, let me know, I want to be able to pushbutton tether
> through wifi but the WebOS is weird about direct access).

This is the message my buddy, Kirk (who is in the telecommunication
business, setting up ip-phones for businesses, etc), sent me...

> This message was typed on my laptop while sitting in (hi wife's)
> hospital room.
> The message is being sent from my office computer via a remote desktop
> connection
> The laptop is connected via wifi to my palm pre using the standard sprint
> data package for the phone.
>
> That's right.....my palm pre is once again a WiFi router!  Woohoo!!!!!

It -was- a wifi router before an "upgrade" which stopped that.
Reverting to a point prior to the upgrade would have "broken" some of
the other features of the phone.

I'll get him to send me the details on how it's done, and share with y'all.

That I -know- it can be done, is the reason why I want a Palm Pre.

(I forget your name/callsign - but, are you still in Houston?)

-Geoff

believed to be clean.