[SATLUG] OT: Router-related question

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Mon Feb 8 23:10:57 CST 2010

My system is connected to a NetGear FVS318v3 VPN Router which in-turn is
connected to a cable modem (service is through TWC).  The router seems
to be 'losing' its connection (or at least the ability to communicate)
with the cable modem (& hence the Internet) on a fairly regular basis.
This is true for any system plugged into the router (MS Windows or
Linux).  I can re-establish my Internet connection if I reset the router
(i.e., turn the power off & then back on).

This is somewhat of a PITA, but at least the router is readily
accessible.  However, my wife doesn't always know what to do to reset
the connection, and she's getting frustrated (& so am I).  Also, my
plans are to eventually relocate the router someplace where it won't be
quite so easily accessible, so resetting it won't be quite so easy in
the future.

So I have 2 basic questions -- (1) Does anyone have any idea why this
problem might be occurring, and (2)
is there a command or something that I can send to the router to have it
reset itself without having to manually power it down/up?

TIA.

Al Lesmerises