[SATLUG] OT: Router-related question

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Feb 9 06:48:11 CST 2010

> So I have 2 basic questions -- (1) Does anyone have any idea why this
> problem might be occurring, and (2)

Al, this is hard to say, it could be the cable modem, or it could be the router.

> is there a command or something that I can send to the router to have it
> reset itself without having to manually power it down/up?

Most routers run a web server on the first address of their subnet
(if your address is 192.168.0.xxx then try to put this into the web browser
URL field: 192.168.0.1). You should get a login prompt (if you forgot the
login prompt you need to reset it by holding in the reset button for 5 secs,
and then you have to reprogram all settings different from the default settings).
After successful login you should look for a page that gives you the current
status. One of the status items should be the DHCP connection to TWC. There
should be a button that says "DHCP RELEASE" or "DHCP RENEW". CLick on those
and see if this solves the problem. You may have to do it a couple of times.

If this solves your problem, then most likely this is a TWC or a cable modem
issue and you need to talk to them to either fix their network or give you
a new modem.

Hope that helps. -Borries