[SATLUG] OT: Router-related question

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Tue Feb 9 22:01:01 CST 2010

Borries Demeler wrote:
>> So I have 2 basic questions -- (1) Does anyone have any idea why this
>> problem might be occurring, and (2)
>>
> Al, this is hard to say, it could be the cable modem, or it could be the router.

That seems to be the consensus -- I'll have to troubleshoot  them to be
sure which one's the problem.
>> is there a command or something that I can send to the router to have it
>> reset itself without having to manually power it down/up?
>>
> Most routers run a web server on the first address of their subnet
> (if your address is 192.168.0.xxx then try to put this into the web browser
> URL field: 192.168.0.1). You should get a login prompt (if you forgot the
> login prompt you need to reset it by holding in the reset button for 5 secs,
> and then you have to reprogram all settings different from the default settings).
> After successful login you should look for a page that gives you the current
> status. One of the status items should be the DHCP connection to TWC. There
> should be a button that says "DHCP RELEASE" or "DHCP RENEW". CLick on those
> and see if this solves the problem. You may have to do it a couple of times.
>
> If this solves your problem, then most likely this is a TWC or a cable modem
> issue and you need to talk to them to either fix their network or give you
> a new modem.
>
> Hope that helps. -Borries

I knew I could log into the router (to assign IP's, change firewall
settings, etc.), but I was hoping there was some sort of command string
that I could send to the router that would make it do the DHCP Renew (or
whatever) without having to log in, etc.  That way, if my wife was
having trouble, I could have her run a script to send the appropriate
command, and the connection would get reset.

Al Lesmerises