[SATLUG] OT: Router-related question

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 12:50:47 CST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Alan Lesmerises
<alesmerises at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> My system is connected to a NetGear FVS318v3 VPN Router which in-turn is
> connected to a cable modem (service is through TWC).  The router seems to be
> 'losing' its connection (or at least the ability to communicate) with the
> cable modem (& hence the Internet) on a fairly regular basis.  This is true
> for any system plugged into the router (MS Windows or Linux).  I can
> re-establish my Internet connection if I reset the router (i.e., turn the
> power off & then back on).
>
> This is somewhat of a PITA, but at least the router is readily accessible.
>  However, my wife doesn't always know what to do to reset the connection,
> and she's getting frustrated (& so am I).  Also, my plans are to eventually
> relocate the router someplace where it won't be quite so easily accessible,
> so resetting it won't be quite so easy in the future.
>
> So I have 2 basic questions -- (1) Does anyone have any idea why this
> problem might be occurring, and (2)
> is there a command or something that I can send to the router to have it
> reset itself without having to manually power it down/up?
>
> TIA.    Al Lesmerises

I can contribute 3 things that may help in diagnosing
the problem:

1.  I was a TW user with a router for about 6-7 years and
had no such disconnects except infrequent outages that
happened about 2-3 times per year.  My opinion is that
resetting the device is only a stop-gap measure, not a fix.

2.  With my DSL modem I can surf to it at addr. 192.168.0.1
and there are various diagnostic tools including a log that
documents drops should they be happening at the modem
or between the modem and the router's WAN port.  You
likely have a similar facility with the TW device.

3.  Likewise, I can surf to my router's diagnostic tool kit
and view a log that provides a record of problem events.

Hope this is useful,
HH
--
Howard Haradon