[SATLUG] OT: Router-related question

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed Feb 10 21:39:39 CST 2010

redpill wrote:
> one more thing...are you sure you want other people to remotely run
> arbitrary scripts on your gateway router?

The security issue _had_ crossed my mind, but I didn't even know if the
option even existed yet ...

> In this case you wouldn't have to.  He said that the script would be run
> from his wife's laptop.  One could assume that means via wifi. Crack the
> wifi encryption (lets hope he's not using WEP) spoof the ip and your in.
Actually, the router has CAT5 hard-wire connections only, so there's no
wifi encryption to crack.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.  I didn't expect such a big
response to my question, but I found all of it pretty instructive.
There were also many good suggestions that I'll definitely look into.

HH -- I'll have to look into whether my router and/or the cable modem
maintains an event log & what kinds of diagnostics tools are there (if
any).  Hopefully, I can find some breadcrumbs to follow.  Thanks.

Al Lesmerises