[SATLUG] OT: Router-related question

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Thu Feb 11 00:34:03 CST 2010

Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> redpill wrote:
>> one more thing...are you sure you want other people to remotely run
>> arbitrary scripts on your gateway router?
>>
> The security issue _had_ crossed my mind, but I didn't even know if
> the option even existed yet ...
>
>> In this case you wouldn't have to.  He said that the script would be run
>> from his wife's laptop.  One could assume that means via wifi. Crack the
>> wifi encryption (lets hope he's not using WEP) spoof the ip and your in.
> Actually, the router has CAT5 hard-wire connections only, so there's
> no wifi encryption to crack.
>
> Thanks to everyone for your comments.  I didn't expect such a big
> response to my question, but I found all of it pretty instructive.
> There were also many good suggestions that I'll definitely look into.
>
> HH -- I'll have to look into whether my router and/or the cable modem
> maintains an event log & what kinds of diagnostics tools are there (if
> any).  Hopefully, I can find some breadcrumbs to follow.  Thanks.
>
> Al Lesmerises

I will chime in that I enjoyed following this thread and learned some
things. Thanks to all.

 I have had problems with my DSL connect dropping and sometimes
resetting auto but many times I have had to full boot.  Then I noticed
that the disconnect was occurring when any heavy starting load went on
the power feed. (elect space heater or stove) and I used a volt meter
and discovered that if the voltage spike dropped below 105 volts the
modem would drop. I put the wall plug transformer on a diff circuit and
that cured the prob. I doubt this helps Allan, but it is nice to know.
Good luck
hh