[SATLUG] OT: also for educators, proposed statewide database

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Thu Feb 11 06:28:19 CST 2010

This basically describes the proposed state wide database system.
http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/taa/comm020110.html

 >Please see the recent Correspondence to Districts posted this week at
 >http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/taa/comm020110.html regarding  our
 >upcoming Texas Student Data System (TSDS) regional workshops.  The TEA
 >urges you to consider participating in one of these workshops to help
 >guide the design of the new data system.

 >Whether you are a classroom teacher, a campus administrator, or a
 >district administrator, your input is crucial to the process.  Please
 >consider taking advantage of this opportunity to participate.

The opportunity to participate could be a call for open standards
especially the possibility of retrieving the data in an open format such
as CSV.  (I do not consider parsing PDFs into csv's to be ideal.)

Here's a brief description:
http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=7639&menu_id=938

Here's a flow chart:
http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=7642&menu_id=938

It's possible for Texas school employees to provide feedback here:
http://texasstudentdatasystem.org/feedback/

This is where it might be advisable to advocate the exporting of data to
  non-proprietary standards such as CSV and promote an open API.