[SATLUG] OT: Router-related question

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Fri Feb 12 09:37:02 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:34, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> So don't use wifi.  Ethernet cable isn't expensive

It is when you have to run it to other rooms and you want a "professional"
look (ie don't want cable runs hanging off you walls outside), or if you
want to run to a downstairs room with no external walls to run along in the
first place.  I am not lucky enough to have a house that is "old-work wire"
friendly.

My last house I rewired with infrastructure, home-run cabling (4 wire, Dual
Cat5/RG6 bundle) to at least 2 opposite locations in each room (one story, 3
bed, living room, garage, Satellite, cable, and phone NID) and doubled up
the living room.  Total material was ~$800.  if you consider my time ~= to
an apprentice electrician (~60/h) or "Home Theater Installer" (~75-80/h), it
took about 32 hours of work.  Assuming that I am 50% less effective per hour
than a "pro", then it would only take them ~16 hours, costing another ~$800
in labor.  I would not think that most would consider that inexpensive.  I
will grant you that 4x cat5 and 4x RG6 per room may be overkill, but if you
want a "professional" look, you need at least a Cat5/RG6 combo in a couple
of spots per room, which would not have halved my material expense, and time
would have been the same, since it takes about the same amount of time to
run a bundle of wire for each drop as it does to run 1 wire for a drop.

Just my $.02.
John