[SATLUG] Software RAID suggestions

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Mon Feb 22 07:21:14 CST 2010

On 2/22/2010 2:44 AM, FIRESTORM_v1 wrote:
> Hello Everyone:
>
> I appreciate your insight and any information you can provide me.

Personally, I wouldn't use any functionality of the "RAID" features of
the card. Just let it add 4 drives (if you've got 4) to the system, and
then set up software raid using mdadm like you normally would. I'd try
to avoid using any features of those "raid" cards if possible, just have
it be a second IDE controller.

I have managed to recover from a software RAID failure (RAID1 using
mdadm, not on an external "raid" card though, just a plain ide PCI
card.) and that went relatively well.

David